Prep Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes
Waiting Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- 500 g flour
- 3/4 table spoon salt
- 1/2 block baker's yeast (20g)
- 1 tea spoon sugar
- 60 g soft butter in pieces
- 3 dl milk
- 1 egg yolk
- Heat the milk lukewarm and dissolve yeast and sugar.
- Mix flour, salt and butter in a large bowl.
- Pour in the milk and mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes.
- Form a ball of the dough, place it in a bowl with a damp tea towel over it and let it rise for 1.5 hours.
- Divide the dough into two equal halves. Make 70cm long strands of it that become a bit thin at the ends.
- Braid the bread and place on baking paper on a tray.
- Dilute the egg yolk with a little bit of milk and apply it on the bread with a brush.
- Let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Meantime preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Apply a second layer of egg yolk.
- Bake the bread in the bottom half of the oven for 35 minutes.
- Knock on the bottom of the bread, when it sounds hollow it is ready.
- Let it cool down on a grate.
Make two small bradied breads with the same amount of dough = bake for 25 minutes.
Wheat flour can also be used instead of white flour. Continue to use at least 100g white flour.